Trying Something new?

What New Business Owners Need To Know

As a new business owner, you will have many new responsibilities. One of the most important is your federal tax responsibilities. For more information, click the links below:

Do I need an EIN?

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a nine digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). EINs are used by employers, certain sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, estates, trusts, and other entities.

You are required to have an EIN if you do one or more of the following:

  • Pay wages to one or more employees
  • Operate your business as a corporation or partnership, or
  • File an employment, excise, pension, or alcohol, tobacco and firearms tax return
  • For more information, you may download Publication 1635, Understanding Your EIN, at or call us to help.

How do I apply for an EIN?

Online - Go to the Online Application at and under tools you can apply for an EIN online. The EIN is issued immediately.

By telephone at 1-800-829-4933 FREE from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. local time. By mailing or faxing Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number (see SS-4 instructions for mailing and faxing instructions). You may download the form at or call 1-800-829-3676 FREE to order by mail.

What are my federal tax responsibilities?

Understanding and complying with tax requirements is a necessary aspect of doing business. Federal income tax is a pay-as-you-go system. Business owners generally pay income taxes and self-employment taxes in quarterly estimated income tax payments. The self-employment tax funds the social security and medicare account for self-employed persons. Employment taxes may be required to be paid on a more frequent basis.

For more information, you may download Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax, at or call 1-800-829-3676 FREE to order the publication through the mail. If you have employees, you will need to follow the guidance in Publication 15, Circular E, Employer's Tax Guide.

What accounting periods and methods do I use?

You must figure taxable income and file a tax return based on an annual accounting period called a "tax year." You choose an accounting method when you file your first tax return. You do not need IRS approval to choose the method. As long as the accounting method clearly shows your income, you will use the same method for later years.

For more information, you may download Publication 538, Accounting Periods and Methods, at or call 1-800-829-3676 FREE to order the publication through the mail.

Who should I contact for help?

If you have questions, concerns, or need information about starting a small business, you may contact us at (904) 284-9481

Tax Services
  • Tax & Financial Planning
  • Income tax preparation/planning
  • Fixed asset management
  • Financial planning/investments
  • Business Evaluation
Assurance Services
  • Audit Engagements
  • Review Engagement
  • Compilation Engagements
  • Agreed upon procedures
Quickbook Services
  • QuickBooks Consulting
  • QuickBooks setup
  • QuickBooks monthly accounting
  • QuickBooks Payroll
  • QuickBooks Discounts
Questions? Inquiries or Feedback?

For your inquiries please click the button to contact us